After Cataract Surgery
What to Expect After Cataract Surgery
After your cataract surgery, the best plan of action is to follow your post-op instructions for the fastest, most comfortable recovery possible. This includes using the recommended eye drops, as well as giving your eyes time to rest and heal. You will also have a follow-up appointment with one of our cataract specialists to ensure that your eyes are healing properly. Some patients find they have clearer vision just hours after surgery, but most see these major results within two weeks. It takes around a month for your eyes to fully heal from this procedure
What to Expect the Day of Surgery
The day of your cataract surgery you will be given a protective eye shield that is to be worn while you sleep. A friend or family member should drive you to and from the appointment, as it is normal for your vision to be temporarily blurred for a few days post-surgery. Once you are back home, it is integral to rest and avoid activities like watching the television or staring at a phone, as these put strain on your eyes. It is normal to feel a mild “foreign body” sensation for a few days post procedure. These symptoms should improve over the course of a few days.
Aftercare post cataract surgery is simple, because after the first day post surgery you are cleared to return to normal activities like computer work, watching TV, and regular showering. It is important to be aware of the strain that is being put on your eyes, and to follow our tips on how to keep them well protected during the recovery process.
- Protect your eyes from bright lights using sunglasses
- Avoid heavy-lifting or other strenuous activities until after your first post-op appointment
- Be aware of surroundings so you don’t bump into things that could harm your eyes
- Avoid swimming for the first week to avoid infection
- Avoid irritants like dust and grime that could possibly get into your eyes
- Don’t wear makeup, lotion, or soap near your eyes for the first few days – these could cause irritation
- No matter what, don’t rub your eyes
If you want clear vision again, schedule an appointment with one of our specially trained doctors to learn more about cataract surgeries and the recovery process. Take our Cataract self-test today to find out if you qualify, and schedule a consultation today!
CONSULTATION REQUEST FORM
CONNECT WITH US
CONNECT WITH US